Talking To Children About Coronavirus Can Help Ease Fears And Confusion
Fears and confusion about COVID-19 are not reserved for adults as the world struggles to combat the spread of the novel coronavirus. Children can oftentimes feel as though they are being kept in the dark or that their fears are being ignored so it is important to know how and what to communicate to children about the current situation.
The Child Mind Institute has some excellent advice on how to bring up the topic and discuss the situation with your family. Key points to remember are:
- Don't be afraid to discuss the coronavirus.
- Be developmentally appropriate.
- Take your cues from your child.
- Deal with your own anxiety.
- Be reassuring.
- Focus on What you're doing to stay safe.
- Stick to a routine.
- Keep talking.
Check out the article from the Child Mind Institute for more details.