What Do Most of Us Forget to Pack for the Lake? Here’s the Ultimate Checklist!
With Memorial Day Weekend coming up, what do most of us forget to pack for the lake? I decided to see if it was just me. Guess what? It's not!
A Google search on this topic turned up a few things I didn't think about, but there were some items you absolutely need to remember that aren't on any list I could find.
Most of us grab a towel, bathing suit, sunglasses, sunscreen and the cooler (ice, beer and food).
Aside from these necessities, here are a few critical items you want to remember that can tend to be forgotten:
- Spare keys to everything from the car/truck to the boat (you don't want to get locked out at the lake!)
- Phone charger and portable charger
- Backup contacts or glasses (much needed if the pair your wearing gets washed away)
- Hand sanitizer
- First aid kit
- Matches/ lighter
- Scissors or a knife
- Duct tape (to patch up almost anything from shoes to a backpack)
- Extra light source (flashlight with extra batteries)
- Bug spray and aloe vera gel for any mosquito bites (also great on sun burn)
- Paper towels and toilet paper
- Chap stick
- Extra shoes
- Extra flip flops
- Extra towels
- Dry clothes
- A jacket
- An umbrella (for lake side shade)
- A radio
- A good book
- Drinking water
- A newspaper
Note: Once fruit is cut up, it doesn't safely last more than 1-2 hours. Grapes and other whole fruit are best. Also, beef jerky isn't what it used to be. Sometimes it requires refrigeration, so read the package!
In addition to checking over your vehicle for the trip, be sure to check out your trailer tires (and bearings if it's been sitting in storage -- many thanks to Larry Williams from Williams Brake, Tune and Tire for reminding us about that). You'll especially want a good spare tire and jumper cables.
Get a refresher on changing a tire and what you need in your car's emergency kit by following this link!