Update: Deceased Austin Serial Bomber Identified
Update: The suspected Austin serial bomber has been identified as 23-year-old Mark Anthony Conditt.
Conditt is said to have committed suicide Wednesday morning (March 21) by detonating a bomb inside his car. But authorities are hesitant to conclude that he was working alone and believe there may be more packaged bombs yet to be found.
According to Austin Police Chief Brian Manley, authorities working with the FBI utilized cell phone technology to trace Conditt to at a hotel on I-35 in the suburb of Round Rock.
Conditt, who had parked his car in the hotel parking lot, drove away from the hotel earlier this morning before a ballistic vehicle could arrive on the scene to assist in an arrest. Instead, authorities opted to follow him.
Sometime later, authorities say Conditt's vehicle was driven into a ditch, where members of a SWAT team approached the vehicle. That’s when it allegedly exploded, knocking at least one SWAT member backwards and prompting another to fire his weapon at the vehicle.
According to the Austin-American Statesman, special agent Fred Milanowski with the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (ATF), said that Conditt had been identified for at least two days after receiving a tip about his involvement, examining surveillance video at an Austin-based FedEx store, and reviewing receipts of recent purchases.
Authorities were also reportedly able to secure a search warrant to examine his online search history, where they found searches considered suspicious.