Lubbock Fire Department Evacuates 16 Homes Due to Gas Leak
Sixteen Lubbock homes were evacuated due to a gas leak Thursday morning (Sept.13).
Lubbock Fire Rescue was called to 48th Street and Avenue D just before 9:30 a.m. due to a 4-inch cut in a gas line. KAMC News reports a contractor working in the area accidentally made the cut.
LFR evacuated the homes and surrounding businesses as a precaution.
Atmos Energy said gas leaks like the one Thursday are becoming more frequent, and this is the fourth leak in the area in four days.
Marinda Heinrich, manager of public affairs at Atmos Energy, said Lubbock has had about 52 line strikes this year.
“It is a problem that we combat. It's just more of an educational issue with contractors, always getting them to know about 811. Just with one quick phone call, they can get all the lines marked in the alleys all the underground utilities will do that free of charge,” Heinrich said.
Atmos said crews sealed off the leak and will make repairs to the gas line.