Which Gyms Have Reopened in Lubbock, Plus a Major One That Hasn’t
Many gyms and exercise facilities across Lubbock have reopened per Phase II of Governor Greg Abbott's reopening Texas plan.
As of May 18th, 2020, gyms were given the go-ahead to allow guests to utilize their treadmills, ellipticals and weight machines, along with participating in classes, but with specific safety guidelines in place:
- 25 percent occupancy
- Showers and locker rooms must remain closed during the first phase (Restrooms will be open)
- All equipment must be disinfected
- Customers must wear gloves that cover their whole hands and fingers
- Must maintain 6-feet social distancing inside the gym
- If gym-goers bring a yoga mat or other equipment from home, it must be disinfected before use.
As of May 22nd, 2020, open gyms include Crunch Fitness, Orangetheory Fitness, CrossFit, Anytime Fitness, Premiere Fitness, The Falls Tennis & Athletic Club, Nick's Fight Club, TruFit Athletic Club, and Zach's Club.
One big holdout, however, is Planet Fitness. The Lubbock location has yet to open back up as the company continues to disinfect its locations and ensure specific safety precautions can be implemented and followed.
The gym giant's most recent COVID-19 update includes a video message from CEO Chris Rondeau about their reopening plans.
You can see the open gyms' updates on Facebook below. And if you know about a gym or exercise facility that has reopened but isn't on our list, just email email@example.com with the subject line 'gym reopening' and all the pertinent details.